School holidays are always fun (and sometimes stressful!). Needing first aid for children in the school holidays is a common occurrence for most families.
What an amazing story we had posted on the Purple Dog Ltd Facebook page…….. (more…)
Have you ever thought about a career within pre hospital care?
What I mean by that, is, if you are the first aider in the workplace, and you really enjoy that role however you are searching or looking towards a more advanced first aid course, to change or move up in your career, then this could be the course for you.
Qr codes are now becoming more commonplace, mainly due to track and trace. However, what does QR stand for?
What do we mean by ‘in house’ courses? And why do some companies prefer these for their first aid training?
Matt is now one of our two tutors who are both military veterans we have here at Purple Dog Ltd, with Matt working nearly full time delivering a number of courses
Child and Adolescent Mental Health is a hot topic at the moment and the fact that we are now accepting and understanding the fact that children and adolescents, as well as adults can struggle with their mental health is a real step forward.
We are aware of the new COVID-19 Omicron variance and the increase in numbers that are reported daily.
We have been welcomed on board as the main sponsor of Huddersfield Giants Women Rugby Team for the 2022 Betfred Women’s Super League season.
That is a very common thought process and it usually comes from the fact we care about this person and want to be able to support them.
We all know Mental Health First Aid is high on everyone’s agenda and radar. And so looking at this from a business point of view, we have realised that for Purple Dog to be able to provide the best training possible in such an emotive subject, we need to be monitored and also offer our customers the opportunity of having both male and female tutors to deliver the courses.
Steven and myself have struggled with our mental health since being children. All those years ago, we as a society didn’t consider the lifelong struggles children would have as adults if they had been unable to process and talk about their feelings that started so young.
Nowadays we see the impact of childhood trauma and there are sessions specifically for children who struggle with their feelings and emotions in the form of Play Therapy. Aiming to stop these struggles before the child reaches puberty or adulthood.
Working under the Awarding Body Nuco Training Ltd, means you walk away with a recognised OFQUAL qualification giving you the credibility in your role as the First Aider for Mental Health in your workplace.
With so many courses and training companies delivering, it can be difficult to choose a course and which course is right for you, so let me try and help.
1. Initially it is a question as to if you feel you can undertake this role with where you are at personally with your own mental health. Would you be able to (if required) listen if someone chooses to open up about their inner most thoughts and sometimes fears and discuss things that may shock and upset you?
2. Are you interested in mental health and wellbeing? Understanding there are key responsibilities you will be trained in. One of those is understanding the descriptions of conditions including anxiety, psychosis, eating disorders and schizophrenia.
3. Is this role is to be in the workplace, what will your responsibilities be? Is there a specific room for you to use? A set half day a week to have an open door session, or will it be appointments or will it be you are ‘on call’ for all of your time at work?
4. This should be a whole company investment into the mental and emotional wellbeing of those who work/volunteer or visit the site. So what support will you have from the company to be able to be the First Aider in the Workplace for Mental Health?
5. If there is already a Mental Health Policy and Procedure in place, do you think this is sufficient to be able to support you and your colleagues? If there isn’t one, would you be willing to help produce one that will be effective in its aims and workable at the same time?
6. How would you feel about having a difficult conversation where you are trying to establish if this person is thinking of harming themselves or others? Because this is something we have to do and must do to ensure everyone’s safety.
7. Lastly, are you the type of person who would take on board what has been said to you and carry it out of work and into your personal life as this can happen if you are too emotionally invested in the person or their story and you really can’t do that, it is not your journey- it is theirs.
After reading the 7 questions, it is now time to consider the right course for you, and that does depend on your role within the company.
Course 1 is the Awareness in First Aid for Mental Health, this is a basic 3 hour session that explains about the role of the first aider for mental health and your role in supporting them and their colleagues and yourself.
Course 2 is the First Aid for Mental Health Level 2 Award one day course. This is where we look at your role as that First Aider for Mental Health and the responsibilities that go with this. We also discuss a number of mental health conditions and the conversations and support available for your colleagues.
Course 3 is the Level 3 Award in Supervising Mental Health First Aid within the workplace. This is where we look at the responsibility of taking the lead in your organisation on Mental Health, looking at how this can be embedded into your workplace culture. We cover a number of mental health conditions, as well as looking at the Law, mental health in the workplace and recording of conversations that may have taken place.
The dates we have are face to face as well as virtual sessions (via Zoom). We deliver courses at our training room in The Chestnut Centre Huddersfield or alternatively can be run at your venue or delivered virtually if you have a number of people wanting to be trained.
Please go to our course page for upcoming dates and follow the instructions to book a place. If you would like any more information at all, please contact the office on (01484) 546780 or email Iain at firstname.lastname@example.org
For your business, you must carry out a First Aid Needs Assessment. This looks at the nature of your business, number of employees and any risks that may be present in your workplace regarding first aid.
Which Paediatric First Aid course is right for me?
All childcare workers need to undertake paediatric first training that meets both EYFS and OFSTED requirements. This training provides learners with a full 12 hour paediatric first aid qualification.
Purple Dog helps your setting…..